By John Forester | April 6, 2017
Yesterday, the Joint Finance Committee held it’s second of six public hearings on the 2017-19 state budget bill in West Allis. The SAA was well-represented with the following school superintendents providing testimony: Blake Peuse (St. Francis), Pat DeKlotz (Kettle Moraine), Bryan Davis (Shorewood), Deb Kerr (Brown Deer), and Darienne Driver (Milwaukee Public Schools). The following business managers also provided testimony: John Stellmacher (Hartford Joint 1), Jonathan Mitchell (St. Francis) and Blaise Paul (South Milwaukee). Other members of the Brown Deer leadership team joined Superintendent Kerr in testimony as well. Many thanks to these SAA members for their leadership.
For those of you planning to testify at one of the remaining hearings, here are my suggestions:
Get there early. I know the hearings don’t start until 10:00 a.m., but if you wish to speak before 1:00 p.m. get there by 7:30 a.m.
- You will only have 2 minutes to testify. There will likely be no questions from legislators.
- Bring 1 hard copy of your testimony with your full contact information on it for the committee members. (This is a change from previous years when I suggested 20 hard copies. JFC staff has changed their process.)
- Use the information in the SAA’s recent Budget Alert to stay on message. It is very important for us to stay focused.
We need a strong showing at the remaining JFC budget hearings. If you have questions about testifying please call me.
Here are the upcoming hearing locations and times:
- 10 am – 5 pm: Friday, April 7, Berlin High School Auditorium, Berlin.
- 10 am – 6 pm: Tuesday, April 18, Spooner High School Auditorium, Spooner.
- 10 am – 5 pm: Wednesday, April 19, Ellsworth High School Gymnasium, Ellsworth
- 10 am – 5 pm: Friday, April 21, Marinette High School Auditorium, Marinette
See also news coverage from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Of particular interest see “School Funding Debate” discussion.
Comments are closed.